4 Myths About Marriage, Immigration and the Partnership Visa

Posted on: 4 July 2017

Formerly referred to as a marriage visa, a partner visa refers to the visa that your domestic partner or spouse receives when he or she marries you or establishes a long-term partnership. Although this is a relatively common immigration visa, there are a lot of myths and misconceptions around it. Here's a look at some of the most pervasive myths:

1. Myth: If an Australian Marries Someone, the Spouse Can Automatically Live in Australia

If you marry someone, the government will not automatically grant that person a visa. There is a review process for the individual. In addition, not everyone is eligible to sponsor a spouse. In particular, if you have been convicted of certain significant crimes, immigration officials may deny your application to sponsor a partner. In other cases, you may need to meet certain income guidelines.

2. Myth: You Can Get Married in Another Country and Automatically Receive a Partner Visa

You can get married in another country, but that doesn't mean that your spouse can automatically come to Australia. After getting married, you need to start the process of applying for a partnership visa. Once the visa is granted, then, your partner can come to Australia. In some cases, your partner may be granted a temporary visa. That allows them to travel in and out of the country while you wait for immigration to make a decision.

3. Myth: Your Spouse Should Come to Australia on a Tourist Visa

If you have gotten married in another country and your spouse's partner visa has not gone through yet, you may be wondering if your spouse should just enter Australia on a tourist visa. That is not advisable. When anyone enters a country on a tourist visa, they agree that they are not planning to stay in the country permanently and that they are not planning to look for work.

If you are already married, having your partner enter the country on a tourist visa would be disingenuous. It could also affect your chances of getting the partnership visa in the long run.

4. Myth: It's Okay to Use a Tourist Visa If You Are Engaged

It's only permissible to use a tourist visa if you really don't plan to set up permanent residence. So let's say your fiance just wants to come visit, meet the family and then return to their home country. In that case, it's okay to come to the country on a tourist visa and take care of additional visas as needed later.

However, if you are planning to get married while your partner is in Australia, you should not use a tourist visa. Instead, you need to sign up for a prospective partner visa. Then, you simply need to get married within nine months of the time they arrive.

Contact a company like Fisa Pty Ltd for more information and assistance. 


How to Develop a Brain for Business

Hello! My name is Edward and this is my new business blog. I have recently become very interested in how businesses operate. My interest was sparked when my daughter came home with a piece of homework. Her teacher had asked her to visit local businesses and then design her own business plan. I decided I would help my daughter out, so I went with her to visit local companies. It was really interesting and I learnt a lot. My daughter's business plan was so good that we are considering actually putting her dream into action and starting our own small business. I hope you find my blog useful.

Latest Posts